East Falls Development Corporation
Organization Summary –
The EFDC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia PA dedicated to the revitalization of East Falls. Our main work is in the East Falls Riverfront Business District and Conrad Street Commercial corridor. We support local businesses and institutions and positive, community based, economic development in the East Falls community. The Board of Directors relies on the Executive Director as the only full-time employee. The organization is financially sound and benefits from a vibrant core of active volunteer business and community leaders.
Job Description – Executive Director
The East Falls Development Corp (EFDC) is seeking an Executive Director who is entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, and well organized to spearhead economic revitalization in one of Philadelphia’s most dynamic neighborhoods. The position can accommodate flexible scheduling needs and affords opportunities to collaborate w/other influential community leaders and public officials on broad-based City initiatives. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and strong business acumen to attract and retain business to the commercial corridor. The individual may come from small business, commercial corridor work, a non-profit organization, or management in a larger business, but must be capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment.
Reporting to the Board of Directors consisting of community residents and business owners, the Executive Director manages all day-to-day organization operations, leads and coordinates efforts to plan real estate development, manages the commercial corridors and business relationships, and promotes the East Falls district as a regional destination.
The Duties of the Executive Director include:
- Develop and implement an annual budget and fund raising plan.
- Manage all day-to-day administration of the EFDC organization.
- Identify, cultivate and recruit new businesses and investors to and support existing businesses in the East Falls Commercial Corridors.
- Coordinate activities of EFDC volunteer committees, ensure good communications between and among committees and the Board, and assist committees in implementing their work plans.
- Research, identify, secure, and manage funding; including grants, loans or other incentives from Private, City, and State, agencies for operations support and special projects.
- Shape, manage and drive all traditional communications, website, social media, and print media for the organization.
- Build strong and productive working relationships with public agencies, other non-profits, local developers, property owners and merchants, and other commercial corridors in the City.
- Operate, manage and maintain EFDC parking lot, small apartment building, organization office, and outdoor properties.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision, strategic plan and programs to guide and grow the organization.
- Enhance the Organization’s image by being active and visible in the community, working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Effective use of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Instagram, the Executive for the marketing and management of the organization, local businesses and the entire commercial corridor.
Recommended Skills, Education and Experience:
- Knowledge of basic accounting;
- Knowledge and experience with Excel, Word and other standard office software packages
- Knowledge and direct practical experience fundraising and grant writing.
- Proven marketing skills and experience, with an emphasis on social media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, public speaking experience is desirable.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in:
- Business, marketing, or real estate,
- Commercial corridors, Business Improvement Districts, Main Street programs or similar neighborhood commercial districts;
- Administration in a management capacity, or
- Non-profit board membership
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting, record-keeping procedures and state and federal reporting requirements for 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Direct experience working with and negotiating with vendors; insurance carriers; and communication with public agencies, especially local municipal agencies within the City of Philadelphia.
- Direct experience with City of Philadelphia business improvement programs and other successful business development strategies, previous experience as a Corridor Manager in a similar urban area is a significant plus.
- Demonstrated experience and aptitude for building and managing a diverse stakeholder community in support of the organization’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate work in a relevant field is preferred.
- Commensurate with education and experience.
- Interested Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by April 21, 2017.
- Address to Search Committee and email: Employment@EastFalls-PA.com. Send the resume and cover letter as an attachment.
- Cover letter must include an answer to the question: “Tell us your favorite thing about East Falls.”
- The EFDC expects to hire an Executive Director by May 31, 2017.
- The EFDC is an equal opportunity employer.